Negotiation tip: always negotiate, even if the initial offer seems good

by cobalt4653
offer negotiation
career
15
239

Just accepted an offer at a FAANG company and managed to increase my total comp by 15% through negotiation. The initial offer was already higher than my expectations, but I negotiated anyway.

Here's what worked:

  1. Had a competing offer (this is the single most powerful negotiation tool)
  2. Focused on the total comp, not individual components
  3. Asked for a specific number, not just "more"
  4. Was respectful but firm
  5. Let the recruiter know I was genuinely excited about the role

The recruiter literally said "I can see what we can do" and came back the next day with an improved package. The sign-on bonus increased by 30k and the equity refresher schedule improved.

Some people feel awkward negotiating, but think of it this way: the company budgeted more than the initial offer. They expect you to negotiate. Not negotiating is leaving money on the table.

One important caveat: don't lie about competing offers. Recruiters talk to each other and the tech industry is smaller than you think.


Markdown supported